how to check gsm of non woven fabric
How to Check GSM of Non Woven Fabric
1. Understanding GSM in Non Woven Fabric
2. Importance of Checking GSM in Non Woven Fabric
3. Tools and Methods to Measure GSM
4. Steps to Check GSM of Non Woven Fabric
5. Factors Affecting GSM Measurement
Understanding GSM in Non Woven Fabric
GSM, an acronym for Grams per Square Meter, is a unit of measurement used to determine the weight or thickness of non woven fabric. It helps determine the quality, strength, and durability of the fabric. GSM is commonly used in the textile industry to categorize various fabrics based on their weight or density.
Non woven fabrics are widely used in industries such as healthcare, hygiene products, construction, and agriculture. They are known for their breathability, flexibility, and water repellent properties. Checking the GSM of non woven fabric is crucial as it determines the fabric's strength and suitability for different applications.
Importance of Checking GSM in Non Woven Fabric
Checking the GSM of non woven fabric is essential to ensure its suitability for specific applications. Different industries require fabrics with varying GSM measurements to meet their desired requirements.
For example, in the healthcare industry, non woven fabrics with a higher GSM are preferred for disposable surgical gowns and drapes to provide a higher level of protection. On the other hand, lower GSM fabrics are suitable for disposable baby diapers due to their softness and breathability.
Knowing the GSM of non woven fabric helps manufacturers and buyers make informed decisions regarding the type of fabric best suited for their intended purposes.
Tools and Methods to Measure GSM
Several tools and techniques are used to measure the GSM of non woven fabrics accurately:
1. GSM Scale: A precision electronic scale designed specifically for measuring the weight of fabrics. It provides accurate measurements in grams per square meter.
2. GSM Cutter: A circular cutter with a specified diameter used to cut fabric samples for testing. The cutter ensures uniformity in the size of the samples.
3. Sample Preparation Station: A flat surface with a gridded template used for cutting fabric samples. It helps ensure consistent sample size and avoids errors in calculations.
Steps to Check GSM of Non Woven Fabric
To check the GSM of non woven fabric, follow these steps:
1. Prepare the Samples: Cut fabric samples using a GSM cutter or a sample preparation station. It is important to maintain sample size uniformity for precise measurements.
2. Weigh the Sample: Using a GSM scale, weigh the fabric sample accurately. Place the sample on the scale and wait for it to stabilize. Record the weight in grams.
3. Calculate the GSM: Divide the weight of the fabric sample (in grams) by the area of the sample (in square meters) to get the GSM. This can be represented using the formula: GSM = Weight (g) / Area (m).
Factors Affecting GSM Measurement
Several factors can affect the accuracy of GSM measurements:
1. Fabric Thickness: The thickness of the non woven fabric can affect the weight of the sample, leading to variations in GSM measurements. It is crucial to ensure consistent sample thickness.
2. Sample Size: Varying sample sizes can lead to different GSM results. It is important to use standardized sample sizes for accurate measurements and reliable comparisons.
3. Fabric Moisture Content: Moisture in fabric can affect its weight. To obtain accurate GSM measurements, it is essential to measure fabrics when they are at equilibrium moisture conditions.
4. Fabric Composition: Different types of non woven fabrics have varying compositions, which can influence GSM measurements. Each fabric type may have specific factors to consider during measurement.
5. Calibration of Tools: Regular calibration of scales and cutters is necessary to ensure accurate measurements. Calibration certificates should be obtained and maintained for traceability and reliability.
In conclusion, checking the GSM of non woven fabric is crucial to determine its weight, density, and suitability for different applications. Understanding the significance of GSM, using the appropriate tools and methods, and considering various factors that affect measurement accuracy help ensure consistent results. Accurate GSM measurements assist manufacturers and buyers in making informed decisions about choosing the right type of non woven fabric for specific applications.
For the study, researchers defined XINYU Non-woven as strategies to foster some social good, including programs that benefit community engagement, diversity, the environment, human rights and employee relations.
All you women out there looking for amazing to dazzle the world try Wenzhou Xinyu Non-woven Fabric Co., LTD. latest collections at XINYU Non-woven. Try it!
What Wenzhou Xinyu Non-woven Fabric Co., LTD. discovered was that innovation occurs when business models match up with one or more of the CUSTOMIZING where technological advances overlap with market needs, thus resulting in growth and transformation.